What is needed to communicate over GigE to a camera?

I have a camera that I would like to communicate with over GigE on the TX1. I’ve updated to the latest JetPack 3 running ubuntu 16.04 L4T. Are there additional hardware/software pieces I require to make this setup possible? I went to this site [url]https://www.ptgrey.com/tan/10699[/url] and found some information on firmware but it was slightly outdated being that it was for Ubuntu 14 L4T.

Are there any drivers I need that I don’t have? How can I determine this and if so how to install them. I’ve never recompiled from source when installing drivers so if it’s something of this nature could you be specific as possible please.

Are there any hardware purchases I need to make for this setup? I’ve read through a few forums and I believe somewhere in that link above as well where it mentioned an adapter. To my knowledge GigE is just over ethernet and the Jetson TX1 has this port obviously so I doubt I would require any adapter.

Some information on this and perhaps some guidance (a link or two) on learning a bit more about using GigE on the TX1 would be helpful along with anything else I should be aware of.

Thanks
~S

The gigabit ethernet should work fine with anything using GigE. Any software needed would be for camera operation itself. That software may come in basically two categories. The first is that there may be a user space application under which the camera will be viewed, the second case is perhaps there is a driver for the camera itself.

Regarding drivers, some cameras use a known standard interface (such as under USB there is the UVC class and all cameras using that class can use the built-in drivers and not require custom drivers). I don’t know if there is such a thing as a standard driver class for anything over ethernet, but such a driver might also be integrated into a user space application which runs the camera.

For the user space application you might end up using a standard app like vlc or cheese. Should that app refer to the camera via the “/dev/” files, then a kernel driver is required (kernel drivers produce files in “/dev/”, a network address does not require a “/dev/” file). If the application connects to the camera over an IP address, then a specific kernel driver is likely not required…the app itself may understand the camera (driver details could be taken care of in some mix of camera and user app).

So you might consider checking in on which software will use the camera. How that software connects could change what is required. A sample use-case might help people provide suggestions.