To install and use the new 17.4 version of the free PGI Community Edition for Windows, you need to first have both the Microsoft SDK and some version of Visual Studio 2015 with Visual C++ installed on your system.
Here are the steps I took to find, download and install the free Visual Studio 2015 Community Edition:
- Go to the Visual Studio Download page.
- If you are not already an MSDN subscriber, choose the “Join Visual Studio Dev Essentials for free” option (make sure you assent to their agreement).
- Log in
- On the next page, near the top of the page, click the “Downloads” menu item.
- Look for the “Product Type Box”, choose 'Developer Tools’and then scroll down and click on this link:
Visual Studio Community 2015 with Update 3
Release date 6/26/2016
- On the next page, choose your download options and click the download button. This downloads the installation helper. For me, the file name was: en_visual_studio_community_2015_with_update_3_x86_x64_web_installer_8922963.exe
Note: If you have not fully joined the dev essentials group (agreed to agreement), you will not see the Visual Studio Community 2015 package to download.
- Execute the downloaded file to install. It takes quite awhile to install. Be sure to install Visual C++ too. You’ll need that and it’s not included in the default installation. See PGI’s Windows Configuration page for details.