Adaptor for connecting the PCIE sff-8644 connector

Hi

how can I connect the DRIVE PCIE sff-8644 (mini SAS) interface to PCIE fingers (SSD, PCIE device)?

thanks

Dear yosi.cohen,

Could you please refer to the following doc in NVIDIA DRIVE Documentation | NVIDIA Developer?
[url]https://developer.nvidia.com/drive/earlyaccess/docs/secure/drive_docs/DRIVE_AGX_DevKit_Mechanical_Installation_Guide[/url]

3.3.4 PCIe (Mini-SAS) Connector
The Mini-SAS connector on the rear side includes 4 ports. These ports are connected to
the PCIe switch via PCIe repeaters. Each port has 4 PCIe lanes, which follow the pinout
defined in the PCI Express External Cabling Specification published by PCISIG. With MiniSAS
cables (SFF-8644 cable assembly), this connector provides external PCIe access for
the Xavier SoCs and the SoC on CVM.

Thanks for the replay. As I understand this type of connector (8644) doesn’t transfer the PCIE 100MHZ clock signal nor the perst or wake.
If I want to connect the sff-8644 to a regular PCIe fingers, do I need a PCIE cable adaptor to translate PERST and Wake messages to real signals?

Do you have any recommanded adaptors that can extract the perst or wake from the 8644 connector to a PCIE slot? (In my design the SMBUS signals are not connected)

Dear yosi.cohen,

Please help refer to DRIVE AGX Developer Kit Mechanical & Installation Guide (PDF) for your topic.

3.3.4 PCIe (Mini-SAS) Connector
The Mini-SAS connector on the rear side includes 4 ports. These ports are connected to
the PCIe switch via PCIe repeaters. Each port has 4 PCIe lanes, which follow the pinout
defined in the PCI Express External Cabling Specification published by PCISIG. With MiniSAS
cables (SFF-8644 cable assembly), this connector provides external PCIe access for
the Xavier SoCs and the SoC on CVM.

Hi SteveNV,
Thanks for your referral!
Referring to DRIVE AGX Developer Kit Mechanical & Installation Guide 3.3.3, how can I connect PCIe fingers to that Mini-SAS connector on the rear side?

Dear yosi.cohen,

Could you please see 5.2.1 Pin-out part in the PCI Express External Cabling Specification published by PCISIG for your topic?
Each SFF-8644 support x4 lanes.

Hi steve

On the Product Brief NVIDIA DRIVE AGX DEVELOPER SYSTEM version PB-09159-001_v03 | October 2018
section 1.2 NVIDIA DRIVE AGX DEVELOPER SYSTEM HARDWARE BLOCK DIAGRAM in figure 1.1 there is a System High Level Block Diagram. on that diagram there is a connection from the PCIE GEN3 Switch1 to M.2 connector.

How do I use this connector?

Dear yosi.cohen,

The M.2 connector is inside the metal box and is on the bottom side of the DRIVE AGX System mainboard.

M.2 has three different form factors – 2242, 2260, and 2280. The “22” represents the width in millimeters (mm), while the next two digits represent the length, also in mm. The E3550 mainboard support the 2280 form factor.

Hi @SteveNV,

Is there a procedure to be followed when reaching out to the M.2 slot in E3550?
I want to install 4-Channel PCAN-M.2 which has dimensions 22 x 80 x 10.2 mm (W x L x H) ( height is 8 mm above the ff specification by 8mm). Can it be installed? What is the distance between board and the cover below? I did see that pcan-pci driver in the kernel driver list of DRIVE OS meaning that it is supported, right?

I want to use this one since I couldn’t find any mini-SAS adapter that converts mini-SAS to mini PCIe or similar. It would be nice if you can recommend one in any case.

Hi,
The M.2 slot on back side of E3550 just reserved, don’t have mounting screw hole on tail side, not recommend to use.

Hi @JimWang,
Do you have any recommendation about this one?

Few one tried PCIe SSD but many tried SATA SSD on eSATA connector.
Refer to “Flashing SPI ROM Image for Marvell 88SE9345 PCIe SATA Controller”

@JimWang, I think that designated use of those PCIe ports with mini-SAS is for storage purposes (since there are so much alternative for mini-SAS to 4x SATA, eSATA, etc), but what I want is to connect generic mini PCIe device (For example this one ). That’s why I am looking for such an adapter, but I couldn’t find anything related in the link you gave.

Hi all,

is there any update here and does anybody have a solution to connect standard PCIe fingers to Mini-SAS ports? Is there any converter or adapter available?

I do not really get what the use case is for Mini-SAS ports. If the use case is only storage, there are 4 eSATA ports right next to it, why not just use them. There must be some possibility to use the Mini-SAS ports for other use cases than storage, right?

Hi @cschro,

The Mini-SAS HD connectors is mainly used for AGX to AGX connection (see “Non-Transparent Bridging and PCIe Interface Communication” doc). For general purpose PCIe things, basically there is nothing blocking you from our side but we don’t support it on the system. Thanks!