Camera triggering based on Lidar Scan

Please provide the following info (check/uncheck the boxes after clicking “+ Create Topic”):
Software Version
DRIVE OS Linux 5.2.0
DRIVE OS Linux 5.2.0 and DriveWorks 3.5
NVIDIA DRIVE™ Software 10.0 (Linux)
NVIDIA DRIVE™ Software 9.0 (Linux)
other DRIVE OS version
other

Target Operating System
Linux
QNX
other

Hardware Platform
NVIDIA DRIVE™ AGX Xavier DevKit (E3550)
NVIDIA DRIVE™ AGX Pegasus DevKit (E3550)
other

SDK Manager Version
other

Host Machine Version
native Ubuntu 18.04
other

Hi!

I’ve been reading about Lidar Camera Synchronization in the forum but it’s not clear to me what can be done via software.
What we want to do is to trigger the cameras based on the angle at which the lidar scan is facing. I read in the documentation:
“SoC generates a PWM signal on a GPIO pin that is connected to all deserializers. This common PWM signal is then forwarded to all 16 GMSL cameras to achieve frame synchronization.”
I have seen these posts about the topic: Time sync across cameras + triggering other sensors e.g. lidar - #9 by SivaRamaKrishnaNV
Lidar Camera hardware trigger - #2 by v.hieplc
How to synchronize camera with lidar?
The conclusion is that “It is not possible to access GPIO which generates PWM signal connected to all deserializers.”

Is there anything that can be done via software to achieve this Camera-Lidar Synchronization?

Thanks,

S.

Dear @jber4282,
If the requirement is to control the triggering at SW level, it is not possible. You can get camera and lidar timestamps in same domain as mentioned in post pointed by you. Also, please see DriveWorks SDK Reference: Time Sensor Sample if it helps.

Thanks @SivaRamaKrishnaNV

From this 2017 post Lidar Camera hardware trigger I can see that “It is not possible to access GPIO which generates PWM signal connected to all deserializers”, From this topic Time sync of lidar and camera I only can tell that the information is timestamped based on the same clock but that’s it. Am I right?
But is there any way I could achieve the synchronized triggering of the lidar and the cameras via hardware?

Dear @jber4282,
Yes. You are right.

Is there any way I could achieve the synchronized triggering of the lidar and the cameras via hardware?

No.