Could not find compatible graphics hardware ??

I’m trying to install CUDA 9.1 on a Windows 10 machine with a Quadro 4000.

However, I’m getting the message: “This graphics driver could not find compatible graphics hardware…”
As far as I know, the Quadro 4000 is compatible with CUDA. Why isn’t it working?

Some history: Until last month, this graphics card was in another Windows 10 machine. I successfully installed CUDA 8.0 on that, and it worked. Is that the problem? Should I try an older version of CUDA?

Thanks
Hugo

Quadro 4000 is not supported by CUDA 9.0 or CUDA 9.1

The last CUDA toolkit that supported that GPU is CUDA 8.

Thanks txbob,

I have just installed CUDA 8.0 GA2, and the installation seemed to go fine (except for Visual Studio integration). I did not install the patch yet (cuda_8.0.61.2_windows.exe)

However, now my sample OpenCL application doesn’t seem to work. It fails on:

ret = clGetDeviceIDs(platform_id, CL_DEVICE_TYPE_GPU, 1, &device_id, &ret_num_devices);

… with the return code CL_DEVICE_NOT_FOUND.

However, this works:

ret = clGetDeviceIDs(platform_id, CL_DEVICE_TYPE_<b>CPU</b>, 1, &device_id, &ret_num_devices);

GPU-Z says that my card supports OpenCL. Is there anything I can check to see why OpenCL doesn’t like my card? Maybe I should install GA1, or the patch?

Hugo

CUDA 8 GA2 should be fine. The VS integration will not work unless you have a supported version of VS installed - these are documented in the windows install guide for CUDA 8.

OpenCL support is not really a function of the installed CUDA toolkit. OpenCL support is entirely provided by the GPU driver.

There is not enough information to diagnose what is going on here. It might be useful to verify the CUDA installation, the procedure is given in the CUDA install guide. If the CUDA install is working, OpenCL should be working.