Drive AGX Development Kit in simulated environment / ROS compatibility

Please provide the following info (check/uncheck the boxes after clicking “+ Create Topic”):
Software Version
DRIVE OS Linux 5.2.0
DRIVE OS Linux 5.2.0 and DriveWorks 3.5
NVIDIA DRIVE™ Software 10.0 (Linux)
NVIDIA DRIVE™ Software 9.0 (Linux)
other DRIVE OS version
other

Target Operating System
Linux
QNX
other

Hardware Platform
NVIDIA DRIVE™ AGX Xavier DevKit (E3550)
NVIDIA DRIVE™ AGX Pegasus DevKit (E3550)
other

SDK Manager Version
other

Host Machine Version
native Ubuntu 18.04
other

Hello!

We are interested buying a Drive AGX Dev kit.

In the early stage of our project we want to use the kit in a simulated environment first.
So we need to feed in sensor data (camera and lidar) from an external simulation program (without real sensors connected).

My questions are:

• Is it possible to feed in images and sensor data generated in an simulated, external environment over the network and use them as input for the examples and emit the results?
  • Are there any recommendations / examples dealing with scenarios without real hardware connected to the dev kit?
  • Is it possible to use ROS on the Drive Dev Kit for example to embed it in an existing simulation environment?

Thanks in advance!

Dear @chris.r ,
Could you check https://developer.nvidia.com/drive/drive-constellation

Hello,
thanks for your reply.
We studied the systems on the link that you posted, but it seems that for us this system will not be available.
That’s why I asked the questions above… ;)

Dear @chris.r,
Could you please check with your NVIDIA representative or fill the form in the posted link to get it?

We already did that, the Drive Constellation system is not available for us.
That’s why we have to look for an alternative approach.

Is there a known way to integrate an interprocess communication or use ROS for feeding in virtually generated sensor data?
Later on, we want to use the system in a real car environment, but at the beginning we have to use it in our simulator.

May I know what you meant not available for us? What’s the response you got from NVIDIA?

Are the questions based on any nvidia SDK/APIs? What’s the simulator you are using? Thanks.

We are using the CARLA simulator and a TCP based IPC. Since we cannot inspect the Drive OS before a purchase, I ask here. Unfortunately, I have not yet been able to clarify these questions on the basis of the documentation.

Could you help to elaborate the role of Drive AGX Dev kit with regard to CARLA simulator? Thanks.

Yes; we plan to generate images and data with the simulator and want to process them on a Drive Developer Kit. Therefore, we would like to feed data from the simulation into the dev kit.

2 Likes

You can follow melodic/Installation/Ubuntu - ROS Wiki to install ROS Melodic and any necessary packages onto DRIVE devkit. Is that enough?