How to battery power Jetson Orin Safely

Hello. My team and I have been working on a project for about a year now and we have a question about battery powering the Jetson Orin safely. We saw that the maximum rating for the Orin was about 5 amps. We have a power distribution panel which is capable of outputting 12V 40A maximum. We tried to develop a PCB to cap the current to 4.5 and boost the voltage to 20V but we are close to a deadline so we’d like to know if it would be safe to power the Orin by directly plugging it into the 12V channel even though it’s max is way more than 5A. Intuitively we would assume that the Orin would never wouldn’t draw more than 5A on its own but we are worried about possible accidents and such that could somehow result in an electrical fault that kills it. However, we are really scared of any risks this might pose to damaging the Orin. If anyone knows the answer to this, it will really help us.

1 Like

Hi, as said in module data sheet, 5.4A is for VIN (20V) on SYS_VIN_HV. 6.0A is for VIN (5V) on SYS_VIN_MV. Actual IDDMAX is dependent on VIN (VINMIN). So 12V input should be no problem.

1 Like

Thanks so much for the reply! We are aware of the maxes, but to clarify, how safe is it to connect it to a source that has a current capacity of 40A? Would the Orin be safe being powered by a source that has a higher max amperage than 5A?

That’s ok as the real power consumption depends on use case not on the max power supply capability. The max module power are as below. And the design tolerance of SYS_VIN_MV rail of carrier board is 20A as you can see in the P3737_A04 schematic.

JAO 64GB Maximum Module Power: Up to 60W
JAO 32GB Maximum Module Power: Up to 40W

Sorry I’m a little confused on parts of this. Does this mean that theoretically the board attached to SYS_VIN_MV rail is designed to protect the system even in a case of 20A? What is exactly is the P3737_A04?

The real current depends on use case. For SYS_VIN_MV, it is 5V only and 6.0A in maximum. For SYS_VIN_HV, it is 7v~20v and 5.4A in maximum @ 20V, and so about 16A in maximum @ 7V.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.