Jetson Xavier NX unbootable after "sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade"

Working with a Jetson Xavier NX (Developer Kit) which had initially been booted up from a microSD card following the instructions found at Getting Started With Jetson Xavier NX Developer Kit | NVIDIA Developer

After running the sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade, however, it stopped working. The device is unbootable, does not power the keyboard/mouse, has no display output, is unconnectable from sdk manager, and will not start. The green power LED does turn on and the heat sink is warm to the touch, however, the fans do not spin. I have seen a few similar posts where NXs will not boot after running apt upgrade so this problem is prevalent.

Symptoms:
lsusb : Bus 003 Device 040: ID 0955:7e19 NVIDIA Corp. APX
dmesg --follow :

[1820747.835198] usb 3-1: new high-speed USB device number 41 using xhci_hcd
[1820747.984559] usb 3-1: New USB device found, idVendor=0955, idProduct=7e19, bcdDevice= 1.02
[1820747.984571] usb 3-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
[1820747.984575] usb 3-1: Product: APX
[1820747.984578] usb 3-1: Manufacturer: NVIDIA Corp.

OMG. I got the same issue. Now it is not even working with refashed microSD. I got the same issue in v4.4 update with another project. Now I try to do new project then also got same issue.

1 Like

hello everett ,

may I know which release version of the SD card image you’ve used?
could you please re-flash the target with command-line to confirm the status?
for example, $ sudo ./flash.sh jetson-xavier-nx-devkit mmcblk0p1

here’s see-also topic, Jetson xavier nx not booting jetpack v5

Hi Jerry, thank you for your response.

The SD card image I used was jetson-nx-jp50dp-sd-card-image.zip which I flashed with Etcher then inserted into the NX.

Looking at the topic you linked, I agree that this problem is a serious issue and does indeed reflect poorly on NVidia as a simple apt upgrade should not cause the bootloader to fail. I hope that we can procure a solution as soon as possible.

Could you please expand on the command you advised above? As the NX is a brick, I assume this is being run on a host computer. Where is the flash.sh script found and what version of the jetson-xavier-nx-devkit should be used?

Solution:

1. Download and install Nvidia SDK Manager on host machine
  2. Put your bricked NX into forced recovery mode
  3. Open SDK Manager on host
  4. Connect NX to host using the micro USB debug port
  5. In “Hardware Configuration”, set the target hardware to your board’s specific version. Hover mouse over the “i” and confirm that the board’s status is “Recovery”.
  6. Select Target Operating System which is available for your host computer’s Linux version. (I found success with JetPack 5.0 DP) Continue to Step02 in the sdk manager.
  7. Select “JetsonOS” in Target Components and any other applicable components you desire. Accept terms and continue to Step03 in the sdk manager.
  8. During this process, it is important to choose the MANUAL installation method for your board version in the selection menu, NOT automatic. Flash your board.
  9. If you run into an issue where installation gets stuck at 99.80% completion, select the option to continue waiting. Be patient.
  10. Success! If the process was terminated in any way, you can restart by powering the board down and repeating step 2.

please post it today. I stuck

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.