My experience with Omniverse Create 2021.3.7

Hi there,

I would like to share with you 10 mins of my experience with Omniverse Create. Little background for what I am doing and trying to achieve.
I am bringing in high poly model of the character to render it with Omniverse as I would render with other pathtracer just to evaluate the capabilities and the quality.
As far as I know the displacement is not supported yet so I am simply importing 7M poly mesh.
I got two lights, flat plane as a background and the character.

On the clip I share with you I am trying to bring 8k texture map from Mari and plug it in the color and then in Subsurface color. Nothing too complicated.
Please take a look and if you have any questions let me know.

I am running Omniverse Create 2021.3.7 on Ryzen 9 3950x, 64GB Ram, RTX 3090 and m.2 gen 4 drive.

It took me 10 mins to plug in 1 texture. Omniverse is freezing with every single click. Any ideas?


Hi @dawid.cencora
Thanks for the example video. Our team is investigating. If you have a repro case that you can share with us, that would be helpful in narrowing down the issue.


hi @fpliu
Thanks for looking into this. Once I am done with this handsome boy I will share the files with you.
Hopefully I will manage to finish it up with those freezes :D


So I did short Twitch stream session today, here is the recorded clip if you are interested in my comments/feeback and experience Twitch

@fpliu Small update here. I stopped using Material Graph and suddenly everything is snappy and fast again. I switched the shader to the one that has direct texture inputs instead of connecting them with a texture file node in the Material Graph.

I guess it is okay for now to do my project this way but doing actual lookdev is impossible. Not that it was possible before due to lack of lookdev patterns ;).

Now I am rendering directly with Iray and update the textures directly from Mari. Not the fastest way of working but much more fluid than before.


Hi @dawid.cencora
Just have an update for you. Our team has some fixes to the way updates happen with render graphs in Hydra. This should be available in upcoming releases of Create. If you have trouble in the mean time, another workaround would be to use the “Force GPU” settings in the Render Settings->Common panel.

It is under “Normal & Tangent Space Generation Mode” = Force GPU