Python Environment with `omni` package

Hello,

How do I access the python environment in an omniverse container? In particular, I need to run replicator code in nvcr.io/nvidia/omniverse-replicator:1.5.3-r2. I cannot import the omni.replicator module and have access to the carbonite libcarb.so.

As described in the doc, scripts can be run via /startup.sh, which uses /opt/nvidia/omniverse/code-launcher/kit/kit, but for my project, I need to use the python runtime to import omni.replicator. I expect to be able to set up the environment by running the commands in /opt/nvidia/omniverse/kit-sdk-launcher/python.sh

To get started set MY_DIR, as noted in kit-sdk-launcher/python.sh, “The executable path will be where python is located. So we set Carbonite app path through env var:”

MY_DIR=/opt/nvidia/omniverse/kit-sdk-launcher
export CARB_APP_PATH=${MY_DIR}

Next, the PYTHONPATH is set. I have to use the alternative here as explained below:

### source ${MY_DIR}/setup_python_env.sh       ### NO REPLICATOR
source /opt/nvidia/omniverse/code-launcher/setup_python_env.sh

There are several differences between these twp setup scripts. Importantly, there is no replicator dependency in kit-sdk-launcher/setup_python_env.sh. So I am using the one from the code-launcher.

Now attempting to import omni.replicator.core from the kit based python, missing carbonite:

${MY_DIR}/python/bin/python3.7
Python 3.7.13 (default, Mar 28 2022, 19:19:54) 
[GCC 7.3.1 20180303 (Red Hat 7.3.1-5)] on linux
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
>>> import omni
>>> omni.__dir__()
['__name__', '__doc__', '__package__', '__loader__', '__spec__', '__file__', '__path__']
>>> import omni.replicator.core
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
  File "/opt/nvidia/omniverse/code-launcher/extscache/omni.replicator.core-1.5.3+lx64.r.cp37/omni/replicator/core/__init__.py", line 1, in <module>
    from .scripts import create, distribution, example, get, modify, orchestrator, physics, randomizer, settings, trigger
  File "/opt/nvidia/omniverse/code-launcher/extscache/omni.replicator.core-1.5.3+lx64.r.cp37/omni/replicator/core/scripts/create.py", line 15, in <module>
    import carb.settings
  File "/opt/nvidia/omniverse/code-launcher/kit/kernel/py/carb/__init__.py", line 29, in <module>
    from ._carb import *
ImportError: libcarb.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
>>> 

Incidentally, there is another python environment in MY_DIR=/opt/nvidia/omniverse/code-launcher/kit, but the setup_python_env.sh is identical to that of kit-sdk-launcher (so no replicator module).

Do I need to run packman? (kit-sdk-launcher/dev/tools/packman/python.sh OR code-launcher/dev/packman/python.sh)

Working on a python runtime of the code-launcher. Why do I get this missing interface error when importing omni.replicator.core

RuntimeError: Failed to acquire interface: omni::kit::IApp (pluginName: nullptr)

As indicated above, replicator is added to the python path of code-launcher (not kit-sdk-launcher), while carbonite is associated with kit-sdk-launcher. I can get Python to find carbonite within the code-launcher environment by setting up as follows within the omniverse-replicator container…

#Location of libcarb.so
export CARB_APP_PATH=/opt/nvidia/omniverse/kit-sdk-launcher

MY_DIR=/opt/nvidia/omniverse/code-launcher/kit

#Set PYTHONPATH
SCRIPT_DIR=/opt/nvidia/omniverse/code-launcher
export PYTHONPATH=$PYTHONPATH:$SCRIPT_DIR/extscache/omni.replicator.core-1.5.3+lx64.r.cp37:$SCRIPT_DIR/extscache/omni.warp-0.5.1+cp37

#Install missing dependencies 
sudo chmod a+w -R /opt/nvidia/omniverse/code-launcher/kit/python/lib/python3.7/site-packages
${MY_DIR}/python/bin/python3.7 -m pip install boto3

#Run Python
${MY_DIR}/python.sh

Now, when I attempt to import replicator I get the missing app interface RuntimeError shown in the screenshot.

Hi @syntheticDataArchitect. Is there a reason why you want to run Replicator from another Python environment instead of just shelling out running Code with a script if needed?

e.g.
omni.code.bat --exec "my_script.py"

Yes, I am working on an app that wraps replicator so our users can select settings and the app will configure the staged graph for runs. I can do this by having our nodes create lines of python and write them all to a file at the end of the logic, but I am looking for a maintainable integration with omniverse.

Ok. This approach is still labeled as experimental in our docs, but I’ll check with the dev team for guidance.

One other idea that I’ll offer up if is if you’ve considered creating a Kit extension and/or microservice to have your app communicate with a running instance of Code?

1 Like

Thank you @mati-nvidia. Looking forward to getting python running in the container - this would make a valuable improvement to my project. For a simple example, a camera node, rather than generating text to add the camera to the layer, it would actually call omni.replicator.core.create.camera(…). More importantly will be for object generators and randomization modifiers.

Just double checking, but are you importing import omni.replicator.core and not just omni.replicator?

Yes, this test and goal is to import omni.replicator.core.

To run anything from omniverse in the container, you need to launch with startup.sh. This will launch a headless version of replicator and you pass it a python file, like here: Omniverse Replicator | NVIDIA NGC

Startup.sh will create an omniverse python environment with omni libraries. This won’t work from the python environment alone.

1 Like

Okay, I’ll use the omniverse-replicator container with static files. In parallel, I’ll work on a design for creating a custom kit app. I don’t know much about carbonite yet, and need a headless app. Can you a good place to start reading? Also it might help if you could share the Dockerfile used to create the omniverse-replicator image.

Thank you!

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.