Booting stops

My jetson tx2 stops booting at “Started User Manager for UID 124”.

Hello,

Welcome to the NVIDIA Dev forums. Your issue belongs in the Jetson forums. I have moved it over for you.

Hi rohith2001.rd,

Are you using the devkit or custom board?
Does your board could boot up before?

Please also help to provide the serial console log for further check.

Iam using NVIDIA jetson Tx2 kit. I was boot it up at the first time and I updated it to Ubuntu 18.04 (bionic).But once after I updated it, the booting screen freezes.

How did you update to Ubuntu 18.04?

I think that you might do full upgrade from Ubuntu Desktop.
You could refer to the following thread.
Started User Manager for UID 123. Problem . - Jetson & Embedded Systems / Jetson TX2 - NVIDIA Developer Forums

Please also provide the serial console log for further check.
Serial Console - NVIDIA Jetson TX2

I updated using the following command:
sudo do-release-upgrade
And I couldn’t access the system and I am not aware about getting serial console log while in the booting screen

Then please read the link provided by Kevin to dump the serial console log…

Sorry for the late reply. It just took so much time to get the USB-to-TTL cable.
I attached the serial log.

Jetson_tx2_serial_log.txt (74.3 KB)

please see if you can login your device by using thie serial console.

If you can, then pelase dump me the result of “lsmod”.

Can you tell me how to login using serial console. Bcoz I couldn’t find any terminal to give my input, It just floods with text i’ve sent you

This part of the log says it auto logs in:

tegra-ubuntu login: nvidia (automatic login)

At that point you can just type in shell commands, e.g., “ls” or “whoami”. If this fails, then it is because something more intrusive has failed. It wouldn’t be unusual to see error messages forwarded to that console, but it shouldn’t stop you from using the console. Just hit the enter key to get a clear line. It is possible though that the error logs are putting out so much text that it is hard to use the console.

You can alter log levels. This might not be a good thing if you are debugging, but if you are on a console which is being flooded, then reducing logging could help. For reference, see this URL:
https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/core-api/printk-basics.html

Check what you see from:
cat /proc/sys/kernel/printk

Note that those are simple numbers separated by a tab, and then a linefeed (the enter key). Likely you will see on a Jetson:
6 6 1 7 4

• current: 6
  • default: 6
  • minimum: 1
  • boot-time-default: 7
  • unknown, but perhaps serial console? Or something in boot or GPU? 4
    (maybe NVIDIA could comment on this “extra” printk of a Jetson; a PC does not have the fifth parameter)

Or on a PC:
4 4 1 7

• current: 4
  • default: 4
  • minimum: 1
  • boot-time-default: 7

This is a driver and not a real file. You could alter this and reboot and the changes should revert.

Remember that although stopping or lowering logged output would reduce clutter on the serial console that this would also mean you don’t get log messages you are interested in. However, you could try something like:

# sudo echo 3 > /proc/sys/kernel/printk
# This assumes previously "6 6 1 7 4"
# cat /proc/sys/kernel/printk
3       6       1       7       4

(note that the “3” at the start is the new “current” log level)

This changes logging from showing everything of “warning” or more critical to showing everything of “error” to more critical. Changing it to “2” would reduce logs even more. “1” would be the least log (note that “minimum” is “1”).

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.