Display Connector & Display Port support

I read somewhere that there is software support for a few optional displays via the display connector and found a reference to the connector needed to come off the tx1. I have not found any reference to how to wire a connector for display port which is one that supposedly has software support. the J23 pin out diagram of some sort would be a help but I can not find it. If someone has a link to a diagram I would appreciate it. also if it could be confirmed that the current install has required support for a display port monitor? Thanks.

Hi dkryder,

You can find the pinout of J23 (and other connectors) in “JetsonTX1_Developer_Kit_Carrier_Board_Spec.pdf” page 17

You can also find it directly in “Jetson TX1 Developer Kit Carrier Board Schematics and Layout Files.zip” in the schematics “P2597_B02_Concept_schematics.pdf” page 17 too.

You may prefer the schematic because you can easily have a look at pullup/pulldown or level shifters ;).

All public documents for Jetson TX1 are availables here :

Regards,
Ale

Thank you, Ale. that is it. can you recommend a type of ribbon cable to come off the J23 connector. i’m thinking the best thing to do is to bring the whole connector [complete ribbon cable] and then use the specific wires i need for a display port connector. i’m looking at the connector specs on digi-key and am not sure how it translate to a proper ribbon cable so i need some help in that area also. so, if you have a suggestion in hardware aspect i’d appreciate it. i’m a fairly good fabricator/assembler when given the correct stuff but need help in making sure i get proper stuff here so i do not toast my tx1. thanks.

You’re welcome.

I would say it depends on the interface you want to use and what for…
For example if you need a basic LCD screen with SPI interface just for proof of concept the fastest thing would be to solder directly your wires on the connector (LCD_RST_L, SPI_CLK and so on).

It won’t work for DSI or EDP interfaces that are high speed ones.

The connector J23 is QSH-060-01-H-D-A (extracted from Bill Of Material).So it is a Samtec connector (info here : [url]https://wwws.samtec.com/technical-specifications/Default.aspx?SeriesMaster=QSH[/url]).
The important information for you is the “mating” connectors…
I think the best way for you is HQCD one :
https://wwws.samtec.com/technical-specifications/Default.aspx?SeriesMaster=HQCD
You can click on “Design & sample” to configure the end connector to match the Jetson QSH and you will have the cable with it for free (already done it for BNC to MCX cable).
The problem is that the tool for automatic sample doesn’t let the choice for 60 pins connector… you may need to contact samtec :/.

You can also try to get the matching connector (QTH) for free and solder it on a prototyping board (and then output the signal you’re interested in) like this one :

But you need to find one with 0.5mm pitch :/.

Regards,
Ale.

Ale, this is all good information and guidance . originally i wanted to just bring the J23 connector off the board and end with a connector with pins/posts so i could have access to the lines i needed but your info has me considering a different approach which with the type signal involved will be better, i think. anyway, i have to study your reply further this weekend. again, my sincere thanks. much appreciated.

Any updates about what you did with the J23 header? I’m interested in accessing the eDP pins, since L4T supports eDP over LVDS.

Hey guys.

I’m also very interested in updates. Since I’m new to the whole embedded topic I have little idea where to find suitable hardware or what I have to take into account. I need a second screen (desireable via J23/eDP interface) but I have no Idea where to find information about compatibility etc.

Has someone any sources (blogs/books/shops etc.)?
I’m very thankful for every hint I get.

Hi StasU,

I think Ale already listed all data you want, the left thing you need to do might be a convert board.

Are you trying to line eDP out for your second screen? If so, you need to make a convert board between TX1 eDP and your screen eDP. First use the Samtec mate connector with cable, ‘HQCD’ , as Ale said to line out eDP to convert board, and so same action for screen’s eDP interface. These two eDP interface will be matched on lines assignment on convert board.

Hi Trumany,

I’m searching for a screen as easily connectable to TX1 as possible.
So far I found something like this one:

As the specs and overview tells the display has an eDP 30Pin interface with an I-PEX 20455-030E-02 connector.

Thus I’ll need a adapter board for the I-PEX <-> Samtec connector + the correct pinout for the signal lanes?

Btw, thanks for the quick response.

-StasU

Yes, a adapter board is needed.

Thanks for clearing things up.

Hi Guys,

We are trying to use eDP port from TX1 without success. The problem is that I think the eDP is not enable by default in DTS. If I am booting with HDMI output and trying to run “xrandr -q”, I don’t have any video outputs except of HDMI-0. Do you know what we should enable on SW side in order to get it work?
We are using JetPack 2.2.1 32 bit and L4T 24.1

Hello, Berkutok:
Would you please take a look @ https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/937880/jetson-tx1/displayport-output-on-x1/post/4901575/#4901575?
It may help.

br
ChenJian

Hello Jachen,

Thank you for the rapid reply. I am familiar with above thread, the guy is talking about using eDP instead of HDMI (SOR1). In his case I understand that some SW work should be done. In my case, I want to use a dedicated eDP (SOR0). As I understand, it should work out of the box but it doesn’t and I don’t understand why. I see in default device tree file “tegra210-jetson-tx1-p2597-2180-a01-devkit.dts” only SOR1 is mentioned. Can you verify that eDP from SOR0 is supported and actually works? If yes, what SW change should be done in order to enable it? We are in the middle of product development based on TX1 and we need to know which approach to take for the second video output.

Thank you,
Dan Mor

Hi, can someone please comment on the current sourcing capabilities of the voltage pins on J23?
Are the numbers noted on the nets accurate for amperage of that net.
Eg: VDD_SYS_BL states 0.4 on its net, does this imply 0.4 A? Just want to confirm.

Specifically, the following nets:

AVDD_TS_DIS
VDD_TS_1V8
VDD_DIS_3V3_LCD
VDD_LCD_1V8_DIS
VDD_3V3_SLP
thanks in advance

0.4 means line width is 0.4mm.