Jetson TX2 not booting up

Hello all,

I’m working on the Jetson TX2 board and it seems to have boot up issues. Usually once the power button is pressed, a few LEDs on the board lights up to a greenish color indicating the boot up has began. But now nothing happens on pressing the power button. I tried starting in Force USB recovery mode but that didn’t work too.

The board has been powered off properly when not it use. Not sure what the issue is and how to debug it.

Thank you for your time.

Hello,

Please see this thread for help.

https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/1024177/jetson-tx1/tx2-development-board-not-powering-up/

Let us know how it goes for you.

Best,
Tom

Hello Tom,

Thank you for your comment.

I followed those steps and requested an RMA. But because the device was purchased more than an year ago, the replacement was declined.

I’m not sure what the next steps should be to fix this. Though it was purchased quite earlier, we didn’t start using it until a few months ago. There’s nothing complicated we’re doing that could cause major boot up issue. We have another, same device that runs more complicated programs and it never had any issues.

Please let us know your suggestions.

Thank you!

Unfortunately, my hands are tied, I have no way to force an RMA. Sorry, I wish I could be more helpful.

Best,
Tom

Is it correct that this TX2 used to work? Or is this new (it sounds like the unit is old, but I don’t know if it has been used in that time)?

FYI, recovery mode will never have any indication of life other than through the micro-B USB cable going to the host. On the host “lsusb -d -0955:7c18” would have output if the recovery mode Jetson is working.

In the case of normal boot many people mistake lack of configuration causing video failure to be failure to boot when the system is really working (other than video). If you have a serial console this is the recommended method of knowing what goes on in the case of video failure, but of course if some of the lights don’t work that is a different story.

Can you elaborate on how the unit has worked previously and whether lsusb shows the Jetson in recovery mode over the micro-B USB? Is the default power supply used?

Hello,

Thank you for your reply.

We purchased 2 TX2’s back in September of 2017. However we didn’t start using the other one until October of last year, the one that has boot up issues. The setup steps were followed from the Jetson Hacks tutorial and was done successfully.

The device was placed in recovery mode before and could be identified by lsusb on the host computer. The unit was used to process some data received over UDP.

Everything worked fine until a few days ago when powering on the device didn’t work. When the device is powered on the CR1 and CR2 LEDs, near the power button, lights up. However nothing happens now when pressing the power button. Only the CR5 LED is lit to red when the power cable is connected. The power cable supplied in the box is used anytime to power the device. Here’s the link for reference https://ibb.co/9pY6tzY

The 2nd TX2 device which runs more complicated programs, as of now, works absolutely fine. Please let us know if there’s a way to fix the other device.

Thanks again.

The LED which shows up indicates power is available to the module. So that is “a good thing”.

Are both Jetsons running the same release? If so, on the working unit, what is the version from “head -n 1 /etc/nv_tegra_release”? R28.2.1 is the most recent.

Does the failing unit still reach recovery mode with the host seeing it via lsusb? Or was the note on this working from an earlier date? This would verify a certain amount of the system works. Should that work, then a clone could be attempted to validate more of the system.

There have been cases where marginal power delivery (right at the moment of power on) has made boot “iffy” (Boolean pun intended :P ). In some cases rapidly tapping the power on button a few times will get the unit started if that is the case. You might want to do that as a test. If that does not help, then the issue is probably not power delivery.

Here’s the output from the working unit:

R28 (release), REVISION: 1.0, GCID: 9379712, BOARD: t186ref, EABI: aarch64, DATE: Thu Jul 20 07:59:31 UTC 2017

I’m not sure if the failing unit has the same version as it was updated almost year later.

The first step to recovery mode is pressing the power button. That should light up the 2 LEDs near the power button. However it doesn’t light up for the failing unit. I still tried this recovery procedure and the lsusb on host doesn’t recognize it.

I tried rapidly tapping the power button but that didn’t help.

Thanks.

I hate to say it, but the unit won’t reach even the most basic of functionality…so it isn’t software at fault. Other than trying it with different power supplies I suspect the hardware has irrevocably failed.

http://www.nooooooooooooooo.com/