Ssh connection refused

First-time user, and I’ve seen some ssh issues discussed but nothing that seems to apply to my problem. Running Nsight Eclipse v9.1 in Ubuntu 18.04 in a VM, and trying to connect to my TX2-4GB running Tegra. I want to develop on my VM host and debug on the remote target via the USB /IP. The connection seems alive both ways - I can ping the target at 192.168.55.100 from the host, and ping the host at 192.168.55.1 from the target.

I create a CUDA C/C++ project and a connection to 192.168.55.100. But then I try to connect I get the following error:

Failed to connect sshd on “192.168.55.100:22”: ProxyHTTP: com.jcraft.jsch.JSchException: java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused (Connection refused)

Can someone explain why this doesn’t work and/or give me a “walk through for dummies” to get them talking? I’m especially confused about the exact seetings to use in defining the connection. I also noticed in the second project setup screen there’s a little warning that says “No CUDA compatible devices detected” so I wonder if that’s a factor or if I would expect to see that until it connects? Any help is appreciated!