Upgrading to Omniverse 2021 with Launcher - localhost not matching nucleus

Hi all,

I recently saw the update to 2021 and was excited to try upgrading my system and try out the new launcher.

I successfully installed Isaac Sim and created a new Nucleus Workstation using the launcher. Now having used previous Isaac Sim installations I had a local Nucleus Installation but I wanted to switch to the new system.

When I first opened Isaac Sim I could see that it was looking at the old Nucleus installation with my old Isaac assets. I only created the new Nucleus Workstation after I noticed this. I was trying to figure out how to get it to see the new Nucleus Workstation and I don’t know what I did but now I am getting the following in Isaac Sim
As you can see this localhost is currently completely empty which differs from what I see on the Nucleus Server

Do you have any idea where I might have gone wrong and how to correctly sync up Isaac Sim with my new Nucleus Workstation?

Any help is appreciated as I am keen to see what I can do with the new beta release

Hi, here are the steps to uninstall the old Nucleus server.

sudo systemctl stop omniverse-server
sudo systemctl stop omniverse-asset-converter
sudo systemctl stop omniverse-cache
sudo systemctl stop omniverse-indexing
sudo systemctl stop omniverse-snapshot
sudo systemctl stop omniverse-thumbnail
sudo systemctl stop omniverse-web
sudo rm -rf /var/lib/omniverse
sudo rm -rf /opt/nvidia/omniverse
sudo rm -rf /etc/systemd/systemomniverse-*
sudo rm /lib/systemd/systemomniverse-*
sudo systemctl reset-failed

Next reboot the system.
You may need to uninstall and reinstall Nucleus is this page does not look right:
http://localhost:3080/

All services should be running.

We will update the documentation with these instructions above.

Thanks that seemed to do the trick for me.

1 Like

I used thiese commands to presumably remove my older Nucleus server, which was on 2020.2, prior to adding a new 2021.1 Nucleus. I first tried to do it through the Omniverse Launcher while following the instructions in the documentation but I received the following error message:

Error occurred during installation of Nucleus Workstation: Command failed: "/home/harrison/.local/share/ov/pkg/nucleus-workstation-2021.1.1/setup/nucleus-setup" -i
Unhandled exception. System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find a part of the path '/home/harrison/.config/autostart/omniverse-system-monitor.desktop'.
   at Interop.ThrowExceptionForIoErrno(ErrorInfo errorInfo, String path, Boolean isDirectory, Func`2 errorRewriter)
   at Microsoft.Win32.SafeHandles.SafeFileHandle.Open(String path, OpenFlags flags, Int32 mode)
   at System.IO.FileStream.OpenHandle(FileMode mode, FileShare share, FileOptions options)
   at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options)
   at System.IO.StreamWriter.ValidateArgsAndOpenPath(String path, Boolean append, Encoding encoding, Int32 bufferSize)
   at System.IO.StreamWriter..ctor(String path)
   at NucleusSetup.Program.UpdateDesktopFile(String ComponentConfigDir)
   at NucleusSetup.Program.UpdateComponentTomls()
   at NucleusSetup.Program.Install()
   at NucleusSetup.Program.Main(String[] args)
Aborted (core dumped)

I then resorted to the standalone install for Omniverse Nucleus here, which gave me this error when running ./setup/nucleus-setup -i:

install

AppPath /home/harrison/Downloads/nucleus-workstation-launcher-2021.1.1.linux-x86_64/setup
ConfigPath /home/harrison/Downloads/nucleus-workstation-launcher-2021.1.1.linux-x86_64/setup/configs
RootPath /home/harrison/Downloads/nucleus-workstation-launcher-2021.1.1.linux-x86_64
UpdateComponentToml - /home/harrison/Downloads/nucleus-workstation-launcher-2021.1.1.linux-x86_64/setup/configs/Tagging Service
Killing Process - omni-tagging-service
Deleting existing - /home/harrison/.nvidia-omniverse/config/Tagging Service/Omniverse.toml
Copying  - /home/harrison/Downloads/nucleus-workstation-launcher-2021.1.1.linux-x86_64/setup/configs/Tagging Service/Omniverse.toml to /home/harrison/.nvidia-omniverse/config/Tagging Service/Omniverse.toml
Setting InstallDir - /home/harrison/Downloads/nucleus-workstation-launcher-2021.1.1.linux-x86_64/Tagging Service
UpdateComponentToml - /home/harrison/Downloads/nucleus-workstation-launcher-2021.1.1.linux-x86_64/setup/configs/System Monitor
Killing Process - omni-system-monitor
Deleting existing - /home/harrison/.nvidia-omniverse/config/System Monitor/Omniverse.toml
Copying  - /home/harrison/Downloads/nucleus-workstation-launcher-2021.1.1.linux-x86_64/setup/configs/System Monitor/Omniverse.toml to /home/harrison/.nvidia-omniverse/config/System Monitor/Omniverse.toml
Setting InstallDir - /home/harrison/Downloads/nucleus-workstation-launcher-2021.1.1.linux-x86_64/System Monitor
config.toml found, copying to /home/harrison/.nvidia-omniverse/config/System Monitor/config.toml
Unhandled exception. System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find a part of the path '/home/harrison/.config/autostart/omniverse-system-monitor.desktop'.
   at Interop.ThrowExceptionForIoErrno(ErrorInfo errorInfo, String path, Boolean isDirectory, Func`2 errorRewriter)
   at Microsoft.Win32.SafeHandles.SafeFileHandle.Open(String path, OpenFlags flags, Int32 mode)
   at System.IO.FileStream.OpenHandle(FileMode mode, FileShare share, FileOptions options)
   at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options)
   at System.IO.StreamWriter.ValidateArgsAndOpenPath(String path, Boolean append, Encoding encoding, Int32 bufferSize)
   at System.IO.StreamWriter..ctor(String path)
   at NucleusSetup.Program.UpdateDesktopFile(String ComponentConfigDir)
   at NucleusSetup.Program.UpdateComponentTomls()
   at NucleusSetup.Program.Install()
   at NucleusSetup.Program.Main(String[] args)
Aborted (core dumped)

In other words, both methods failed. Are there any solutions I can try in order to remedy this?

Looks like you are missing some folders. Please try running these:

$ mkdir -p ~/.nvidia-omniverse/config
$ mkdir -p ~/.config/autostart

https://docs.omniverse.nvidia.com/app_isaacsim/app_isaacsim/setup.html#nucleus-cloud-installation

1 Like

Hello,

I encounter the same Problem, I uninsatalled the Nucleus Server as you recommented.

Now I’m not getting the Nucleus Server to run.

I uninstalled and reinstalled Nuclues, without any Errors.

Wenn look at the status of the services I get following error message for each service,

● omniverse-server.service - Omniverse Server
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/omniverse-server.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Thu 2021-06-24 12:55:09 UTC; 14min ago
Process: 2684 ExecStart=/opt/nvidia/omniverse/server/omni.server.app -input false (code=exited, status=226/NAMESPACE)
Main PID: 2684 (code=exited, status=226/NAMESPACE)

Jun 24 12:55:09 roentgen systemd[1]: Started Omniverse Server.
Jun 24 12:55:09 roentgen systemd[2684]: omniverse-server.service: Failed to set up mount namespacing: No such file or directory
Jun 24 12:55:09 roentgen systemd[2684]: omniverse-server.service: Failed at step NAMESPACE spawning /opt/nvidia/omniverse/server/omni.server.app:
Jun 24 12:55:09 roentgen systemd[1]: omniverse-server.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=226/NAMESPACE
Jun 24 12:55:09 roentgen systemd[1]: omniverse-server.service: Failed with result ‘exit-code’.

Hi, try running the commands in Upgrading to Omniverse 2021 with Launcher - localhost not matching nucleus - #2 by Sheikh_Dawood then reboot. The services should no longer exist and the files in /opt/nvidia/omniverse should not be there.

Thanks for the reply.
Yes, the directory /opt/nvidia/omniverse is not there anymore.

I realised Nucleus is now runing, at least i can see it in Omniverse.
I’am not able to access the Web Interface:
<server_ip_adress>:3009 or <server_ip_adress>:8080

But the service omniverse-server.service is still there, at the directory lib/systemd/system/omniverse-server.service

I found my mistake:)

sudo rm -rf /etc/systemd/systemomniverse-*
sudo rm /lib/systemd/systemomniverse-*

There are “/” missing:)
I’m really new to the topic, such small things take me some time to figure out.

1 Like

Your solution did the trick for me. Thank you!

1 Like

Hi @Sheikh_Dawood thank you for the list of commands, it fixed my issues ! I upgraded to the 2021.1.1 version of Isaac and it took 9 minutes to load (until it timed out and finally started, telling me Nucleus cannot be found). I uninstalled everything, entered your commands, rebooted, installed everything again and it worked like a charm.

1 Like