Support for force sensors in Omniverse Isaac

I am wondering if there is any current support for force sensors that can be enabled, specifically for robot arms like the Franka (e.g. wrist force/torque sensor, joint torque sensors). I haven’t seen force information being exposed client side anywhere yet, either in the ROS bridge, Robot Engine Bridge, or the Python API. Do force sensors exist already or are they planned for development? And if they do not already exist, how could I go about trying to extract the force information myself?

1 Like

I’m afraid we currently do not support force sensors and might not be able to get any force information yet.

I’ll file this as a feature request.

I am curious if there has been any motion on this, e.g. a target release date when force data will be exposed. Doing manipulation research with Omniverse Isaac Sim is fairly limited without getting force and contact data.

1 Like

Hi Adamconkey,

Unfortunately, we don’t have a date for it now.

Kindly,
Liila

So till now force measurement is still not supported or not in the future plan?

Hi newuhe,
Yes, force sensor is on the roadmap. We will have it our our future release (2-3 months from now).

Kindly,
Liila

1 Like

Thanks for replaying. That’s great news.

I believe this feature is now available…

Hello everyone, I am interested in getting the contact points and forces between rigid bodies. Is there a recommended way to accomplish this? Thanks in advance!

1 Like

Hi @cpetersmeier - Yes, you can accomplish this by using the Contact Sensor in Isaac Sim. Contact sensors measure the surface load applied to a body. In Isaac Sim, contact sensors are simulated by summing all forces applied on a given trigger spherical region intersected with the given body surface via the omni.isaac.sensor extension.