Jetson AGX Orin Flashing Issues

I have been attempting to flash an Orin using a host with Ubuntu 20.04, and tried it with kernels 5.4, 5.14, 5.15. I have had only one success, which was after another host had already flashed it and I reinstalled Ubuntu. Before and after that, I keep getting the same error even after reinstalling Ubuntu multiple times:

11:24:31 ERROR: Flash Jetson Linux - flash: [ 0.2305 ] ERROR: carveout /misc/carveout/aux_info@CARVEOUT_MCE_COVERAGE/ is not supported
11:24:31 ERROR: Flash Jetson Linux - flash: [ 0.2595 ] ERROR: carveout /misc/carveout/aux_info@CARVEOUT_UNUSED5/ is not supported
11:24:31 ERROR: Flash Jetson Linux - flash: [ 0.2605 ] ERROR: carveout /misc/carveout/aux_info@CARVEOUT_UNUSED5/ is not supported
11:24:31 ERROR: Flash Jetson Linux - flash: [ 0.2609 ] ERROR: carveout /misc/carveout/aux_info@CARVEOUT_UNUSED5/ is not supported
11:24:31 ERROR: Flash Jetson Linux - flash: [ 0.2612 ] ERROR: carveout /misc/carveout/aux_info@CARVEOUT_MCE_COVERAGE/ is not supported
11:24:31 ERROR: Flash Jetson Linux - flash: [ 0.2616 ] ERROR: carveout /misc/carveout/aux_info@CARVEOUT_MCE_COVERAGE/ is not supported
11:24:31 ERROR: Flash Jetson Linux - flash: [ 0.2620 ] ERROR: carveout /misc/carveout/aux_info@CARVEOUT_MCE_COVERAGE/ is not supported
11:24:31 ERROR: Flash Jetson Linux - flash: [ 0.2798 ] Error: Skip generating mem_bct because sdram_config is not defined
11:24:31 ERROR: Flash Jetson Linux - flash: [ 0.2798 ] Error: Skip generating mem_bct because sdram_config is not defined
11:24:36 ERROR: Flash Jetson Linux - flash: [ 0.3082 ] ERROR: might be timeout in USB write.
11:24:36 ERROR: Flash Jetson Linux - flash: Error: Return value 3
11:24:36 ERROR: Flash Jetson Linux - flash: --- Error: Reading board information failed.
11:24:36 ERROR: Flash Jetson Linux - flash: command terminated with error
11:24:36 SUMMARY: Flash Jetson Linux - flash: First Error: Installation failed.
11:27:44 SUMMARY: CUDA on Host - host: Install completed successfully.

I have used multiple USB-A to USB-C cables which have all been plugged in to the correct port for flashing on the Jetson and both USB 2.0 (for automatic setup) and 3.x ports on the host.

NVIDIA SDK Manager is the latest version. The same error also occurs when using flash.sh and nv_autoflash.sh

Please let me know how I can deal with this issue as I am not able to change hosts at this time.

Hi @uzaira,

I have seen similar issues in the past and I have resolved them by changing the way the user is created in the board.

What I mean is that when you are flashing the board, the SDK Manager tells you if you want to do a pre flash configuration or a runtime configuration of the username and password. Maybe and hopefully this is related to your case, so you can try flashing the board with a different option than the one giving the errors.

Regards,
Roberto

Unfortunately, both pre-flash and runtime configurations for both manual and automatic setup give the same error.

I have the same issue as well… Please let me know if you find solution…

I ended up fresh installing Ubuntu 18.04.6 LTS onto the host as recommended in some other forum posts since a fresh installed 20.04 seems to give many people the same issue. The kernel was 5.4.0-84-generic.
Flashing worked on 18.04.

Then I upgraded to 20.04 (kernel 5.4.0-139-generic) through Software Updater and flashing still works. Earlier I had downgraded to the same kernel from a fresh installed 20.04 and flashing didn’t work. So it seems that there is some issue with the compatibility of fresh installed 20.04 hosts that is unrelated to the kernel used.

(by fresh install I mean initially installing from a disk image, rebooting, installing all available package upgrades, rebooting, and eventually using SDK Manager)

2 Likes

I really appreciate your feedback. I also installed via Ubuntu 18.04.6 LTS as well.
There might be some problem with Ubuntu 20.04.

I had the exact same problem and everything worked after installing a fresh Ubuntu 18.04 in a laptop I had laying around the office.
Does anyone know what the problem might be? I’m currently guessing that there’s some difference in the timeout of the USB between the kernel in 18.04 and the kernel in 20.04, but it is only a guess.
I’d be grateful for any fix or suggestion to run it on 20.04 so I don’t need to keep 2 laptops laying around.

As I mentioned above, I was able to transition to 20.04 and still was able to flash. I just needed to update to 20.04 from Software Updater. It might work for you as well. Also the default kernel of 18.04 is 5.40-84-generic and for 20.04 it’s 5.4.0-139-generic. So I don’t think the issue is related to the kernel, at least in my case.

I had the same issue. Thanks for the recommendation of using18.04. It worked.
Thank you.
Hi NVIDIA team. Could you please look?

Hi a28tm,
ERROR: might be timeout in USB write

1:could you try another usb cable?
2:do you test on native host not in vm?, native ubuntu expected

FYI, I do not think it is related to usb cable because I tried the same usb cable which is failed with 18.04 but is worked with 20.04. Plus, I tried different types of usb cables with 20.04, and they are all failed. Of course, I tried with native host.

Hi dohun.han
which JP version you flash failed ,5.1 or 5.0.2. or both?

hi dohun.han,
We can not reproduce this issue from our side. we successfully flashed Orin devkit on 20.04.
Suggest you change another host to verify.

I have tried with 2 different hosts, 2 different Orin AGX devkits and at least 3 different cables, being 2 of them the ones that came with each of the devkits.
I also tried to flash both 5.1 and 5.0.2 without success.

Is there something I could gather to help you reproduce in some way?
I’m running this kernel 5.15.0-60-generic #66~20.04.1-Ubuntu, and the release is 20.04.5 LTS.

I’ll be happy to provide any debug info I can to try to get this to work. It’s quite annoying to depend on a 3rd device at the moment to have to flash the system.

1 Like

I am flashing from 20.04 fresh install on host and getting issues as well. Many gzip and carevout errors. I will let it finish but I don not think it will be successful.

Afterwards I will attempt emmc memory install instead of nvme install on 20.04 and then follow up with the 18.xx Ubuntu if this doesn’t work.

Weird, to be honest. You would think the sdk manager would format the entire agx Orin before flashing the Jetson Linux image.

Similar issue, I have tried to flash AGX Orin Devkit 64GB from Ubuntu 20.04 and 16.04 using SDK Manager 1.9.1, and the error messages are:

11:52:33 ERROR: Flash Jetson Linux - flash: [ 0.2716 ] ERROR: carveout /misc/carveout/aux_info@CARVEOUT_UNUSED5/ is not supported
11:52:33 ERROR: Flash Jetson Linux - flash: [ 0.2888 ] ERROR: carveout /misc/carveout/aux_info@CARVEOUT_UNUSED5/ is not supported
11:52:38 ERROR: Flash Jetson Linux - flash: [ 0.3832 ] ERROR: might be timeout in USB write.
11:52:38 ERROR: Flash Jetson Linux - flash: --- Error: Reading board information failed.
11:52:38 ERROR: Flash Jetson Linux - flash: command terminated with error
11:52:38 SUMMARY: DateTime Target Setup - target: Depends on failed component

Hi Kyle,

what helped you after all? I am having the same issues with 20.04 trying to flash onto the NVMe storage…

Thanks,
David

Is there anyone here who managed to flash with 20.04? I am hoping to find a solution here to not having to install 18.04…

Hi @david.berger

Could you help check if your host side command “dmesg” will print anything new when you hit the flash error?

You can try to check dmesg before the flash starts and after the error happened and compare the diff.

Hi Wayne,

I am getting the following issues…I am sorry but what is dmesg?